Money

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money. ~Cree Indian Proverb

Sunday 6 January 2013

Augmented Reality (AR)

  I visited an antique shop somewhere in PJ yesterday. I came across an British sovereign gold coin and it really excited me. I asked the owner if it was genuine gold and she replied that it was real 22K gold which used to be given by parent in olden days to child who studied abroad. This is because the sovereign gold coin was widely traded semi-numismatic gold coins in the world. They are also the official coinage of English Royalty and since been first minted to honour Henry VII in 1489 they have been issued for all English Kings and Queens since.  
  
     Production of Sovereigns stopped in 1991 due to the rise in the price of gold. The gold in sovereigns was worth more than the face value of the coins. Also, interesting to know that 1933 was the first year in over a hundred that no sovereigns were produced throughout the whole empire.

     There are many recorded fake or counterfeit gold sovereigns in circulation. Worst in scenario is to come across fake sovereign coins where the gold is replaced or alloyed with a substitute metal to look like gold. Such fakes can be relatively easily detected by measurement and weighing using jewellers scales.

   Unfortunately, owner didn't have any scales to verify the weight(i.e. 7.9881g).  Well, given a benefit of doubt on cashing out RM1450 is worth the money, I decided to take pictures using my smartphone and try to see if there is other way to identify a real gold from a fool gold.

No such luck....

But what if I have an AR equipped Smartphone with me! Remember Terminator?! 

2013 is a year to expect for Augmented Reality in the market. Then I would have this when I point my smartphone on it....HOW NICE.




No comments:

Post a Comment